02 March 2009

Asian Noodles


I love to cook cheap, old fashioned country pork ribs in a crock pot for about 8 hours. I found this wonderful Asian pepper sauce that makes the ribs hot and spicy, but lately I have been unable to find it. I began to look for a recipe to recreate the slightly sweet, blazing hot sauce for my pork.

I found a recipe I thought would be pretty close in Nina Simond's Asian Noodles. She uses it for a dressing, so I dressed my crock/pork. Here is her sauce:

Red Hot Chili Oil Dressings

1/4 cup safflower or corn oil
2 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
7 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar or Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
Combine both the oils in a heavy sauce pan and heat over high heat until almost smoking hot. Add the red pepper, cover, and remove from the heat. Let sit until cool, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to dissolve the sugar. Refrigerate, in a covered container, the dressing will keep for a week.



Later that evening, I had my spicy pork. Not exactly like the sauce I was used to, but about as close I could get on short notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin