23 February 2009

Old Southern Reciepts



Old Southern Reciepts by Mary Pretlow was written in 1930. It is a plain old Southern cookbook, filled with quaint recipes, featuring some often vague cooking instructions, in a long, run-on sentence structure. It has a nice squirrel recipe and more punch combinations than you will ever need. More punch combinations than I will ever need.

While search for recipes, I came across something I love to make, but never had a name for. Now I do.

Egg Pilau

2 cups rice
2 teaspoonfuls salt
1/3 cup cream
1/2 teaspoonful pepper
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup butter
6 eggs

Cook the rice in the chicken broth in a covered kettle for about 25 minutes. Have the eggs slightly beaten, with cream, salt and pepper added and when the rice has absorbed the chicken broth (about 25 minutes) add the eggs and the butter, stir well and remove from fire.


This is one of my favorite “leftover” recipes. While my love of grits knows no bounds, I am also a big fan of rice. Other than “Krispies,” however, Americans rarely eat rice for breakfast, but it is a staple for breakfast in many Asian countries. When I have leftover rice, I often make this pilau for breakfast. Here’s how I do it.

Take the leftover rice and place it in a small, covered saucepan. Add a little milk or cream and heat the rice t over a low flame. I don’t bother with the butter, but feel free to add it if you want. When the rice is hot, add an egg or two into the rice and cover with the lid, allowing the eggs to poach in the steam. When the yolks are set, but still a bit runny, spoon into a bowl.

It’s not grits, but it makes a tasty, quiet breakfast sans snap, crackle and popping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin